Book Covers

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Interview With Zoe Winters - Paranormal Romance Author



Zoe Winters writes quirky and sometimes dark paranormal romance.
Zoe’s goal as a writer: “I want to write a book that makes you almost pee your pants because you don’t want to put it down long enough to go to the bathroom. I want to write a book that you miss meals for. I want to write a book you miss bathing for. I want to grab hold of you and not let go until the very last page, where you crumble to the floor in a blissful heap, ask for a cigarette, and say: “Damn, was it good for you too,” then tell 300 of your closest friends about it on Twitter.”

Interview:



Please tell us about your latest book Save My Soul.

I hate to do copy/paste but the best way to sum it up is the back cover copy, since that's the "best" I could ever figure out how to describe it. :)
All he’s asking for is her soul.
After buying the antebellum home she’s fantasized about since childhood, Anna Worthington discovers Luc, a dangerously seductive incubus who has been trapped in the house by a fifty-year-old curse. To rid herself of her problem house guest she’ll call on a priest, gypsies, ghost hunters, and the coven of witches from lust bunny hell. All she has to do is resist him long enough to break the spell so they can go their separate ways. If she doesn’t, she could die. And that would be the best case scenario.

Where did you get the idea for this book from?

Oddly this may be the only book I can say: "Here's where the idea came from" because mainly books are a smattering of a bunch of different random things running around in my head like stoned circus clowns. I was driving in the historic part of town and was looking at this old house and most of the plot fell into my head. Truly the creepiest way I ever got an idea. I have no idea what else was percolating in my brain to make that all come together. I was just driving, trying to come up with something to write for NanoWrimo (national novel writing month) that year, and saw the house, and there it was. Or most of it anyway. Some of the cooler stuff came to me later in the planning stages. (Like the twist at the end. I resisted the twist forever!)

Are your characters entirely fictitious or have you borrowed from real people you know?

Yes and yes. My characters are totally made up, but I think every author in some way borrows from people they've been around and observed. But we mix it up so nobody can get mad at us. My husband says some of my villains sound suspiciously like him, especially Cain. He should be flattered though, Cain is my favorite, and he gets his own book later. :)

I loved your ‘Save My Soul’ book trailer.  Do you have plans to make more for your other books?


Yep. Right now I plan to do book trailers for all the books in the series (except Blood Lust, since I don't want to back track). They're a lot of fun, and I think can help get fans excited about the book.

Do you have a writing process?  If so can you please describe it?


I sit down and type stuff.  Not very sexy, I know. ;)
Did you hire a professional editor or use any beta readers?
Both. I use a pro editor and have several beta readers/critique partners.
Please tell us about the book you are currently working on.

Right now I'm deep into worldbuilding and planning for books  3 and 4 of the series. I'd like to get them both ready so I can release them close to around the same time. Maybe two weeks apart. It means a slightly longer wait for the next book, but double reward and almost instant gratification for the fourth!

Your book covers are fantastic, who designed them?
Thank you! My cover artist is the fabulous Robin Ludwig of Robin Ludwig Design Inc. People can find her at: www.rldprint.com

Any ideas for future work you want to share?

Well, I'm pretty secretive about what I'm working on in the earlier stages but, I will say that book 3 features an agoraphobic witch named Fiona and a panther shifter named Z. Jane, Cole, and Cain will all make important appearances in the book. I'll also be introducing my heaven dimension and angels in this book. And book 4 is Cain and Tam's book. I'm fascinated by their story and can't wait to share it. After that, things get weird. But that's all I can say. :)

Do you have any advice for new authors?
Write a lot and read a lot. Not very original, but pretty much the most important thing you can do. Also, ignore as much Internet drama as possible. I was super happy when I wrote before I started interacting with writers online. It's not that writers are bad, it's just that they are VERY passionate and opinionated and have a way with words. This sometimes leads to more online drama than you want and it can easily get overwhelming. The writer friends I have are like gold to me, but... there are always going to be those you don't click with so it can be refreshing to just go into your bat cave and get away from it. The more you can shut that out, the happier you'll probably be. At least that's true for me. 
Anything else you’d like to talk about?

If it's all right, I'd like to give my site information and maybe share the book trailer for Save My Soul with those who haven't yet seen it. 
Twitter: @zoewinters
Blog: http://zoewinters.wordpress.com (buy links for Save My Soul are at the top of my blog.)
Thanks for having me!


Thanks so much Zoe and best of luck!
Patricia
:)


No comments:

Post a Comment